Healthy Active Living
We at Erin District High School help students develop an understanding of what they need in order to make a commitment to lifelong healthy, active living and develop the capacity to live satisfying, productive lives. Healthy, active living benefits both individuals and society in many ways – for example, by increasing productivity and readiness for learning, improving morale, decreasing absenteeism, reducing health-care costs, decreasing anti-social behaviour such as bullying and violence, promoting safe and healthy relationships, and heightening personal satisfaction. Research has shown a connection between increased levels of physical activity and better academic achievement, better concentration, better classroom behaviour, and more focused learning. In health and physical education, students will learn the skills needed to be successful in life as active, healthy, and socially responsible citizens.
Vision and Goals
The knowledge and skills students acquire in our programs will benefit them throughout their lives and enable them to thrive in an ever-changing world by helping them develop physical and health literacy as well as the comprehension, capacity, and commitment they will need to lead healthy, active lives and promote healthy, active living.
Students will develop:
- living skills needed to develop resilience and a sense of self
- skills and knowledge that will enable them to enjoy being active and healthy throughout their lives
- movement competence needed to participate and strategize in a range of physical activities
- an understanding of the factors that contribute to healthy development, a sense of personal responsibility for lifelong health, and an understanding of how living healthy, active lives is connected with the world around them.
- CPR training
- Broomball and skating
- Camping and canoeing in grade 10 Outdoor Education
- Cross-country skiing
- Rock climbing at Guelph Grotto
- University of Guelph fitness trip
- University of Waterloo Exercise Science trip
|Mr. Kyle Adair||Ext 418|
|Ms. Melanie Sammit||Ext 448||[email protected]|
|Ms. Jocelyn Wombwell (Department Head)||Ext 440||[email protected]|
|Mr. Adam Kalbfleisch||Ext 462|