What is the SHSM Environment Program?
The Environment Program is based on nationally identified preparatory knowledge, skills, reach-ahead, and on the job learning opportunities focused within the field of environmental studies. Participating students will have opportunities to explore the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) and various post secondary educational opportunities – for example, School to College to Work Initiatives and University Reach Ahead opportunities.
Schools supporting this sector
- Centennial CVI
- Centre Wellington DHS
- Erin DHS
- Guelph CVI
- John F. Ross CVI
- Norwell DSS
- Orangeville DSS
- Wellington Heights SS
- Westside SS
Why get involved?
- Assist in the maintenance and cleanup of trails and parks
- Attend a trade show, conference, or workshop focused on the environment
- Experience a work placement within the environment sector
- Participate in Envirothon competition
- Networking with potential employers
- Graduate with a SHSM seal of designation on your secondary school diploma
- Earn a Specialist High Skills Major designation on OSSD transcript
- Gain valuable industry specific work experience and knowledge
The SHSM-Environment Program will help students develop:
- A sound foundation to learn in Environmental industries
- Search and rescue, habitat restoration, radio operation skills
- Personal management skills
- Teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
Get Started Now
Talk to your school SHSM Lead or guidance counsellor to register.
For FAQ, click here!