Student Services/Resource Department
If you are looking to request a Guidance Appointment with a Guidance Counsellor, Social Worker, CYC or other in-school supports during school hours, please fill out the following form and someone will reach out to you as soon as they can.
If you are struggling with your emotions and need someone to talk to (privately and confidentially) anytime day or night, you can reach out to 1-844-437-3247 (Here 24/7). You can also reach KidsHelpPhone at 1-800-668-6868 or Text CONNECT to 686868.
Special Education staff work with all GCVI students but are especially focused on students who are identified as exceptional through an IPRC or who have accommodations outlined in an Individual Education Plan. See the link to the parent’s guide below, for details.
Through the Resource Room, Special Education staff offer a variety of tools, strategies and programs that promote the success of all students at meeting course expectations and completing class work. We offer:
|Student Software Support
|Work, Assignment and Test Completion
How To Help Your Son or Daughter See Success in High School
- Know what is going on in the school
- Look at the sign outside of the school
- Follow us on Twitter – @GuelphCVI
- Check the school website – http://www.ugdsb.on.ca/gcvi
- Come to School Council meetings
- Call and ask! 519-824-9800
- Know who your teen’s teachers are – ask to see his/her schedule at the start of each semester.
- Make sure your contact information is correct and on file at the school.
- Come to parent teacher nights, school council or any other school events.
- Know who your teen’s Vice-Principal is (A-L – A. Willoughby and M-Z – J.Cako)
- CALL – if you have concerns, notice changes in behaviour or have questions.
- Encourage your son or daughter to get involved with a club or team (we have many!)
2. Help your son or daughter choose courses that will help them see success
- Ask the Gr. 8 teacher for advice on what level of classes your son or daughter should take (Academic, Applied, Essential)
- Consult with the Student Success Teacher (C. Anstett) and/or the Special Education Resource Teacher (J. Hocken) at GCVI
Student Services Department
|Mr. Jamie Hocken Email: [email protected]
(Head of Student Services/Special Education Resource Teacher)
|Ms. Colleen Anstett Email: [email protected]
(Minor Head of Student Services/Student Success)