The staff of The Guelph Collegiate-Vocational Institute believes that an effective guidance and counselling program should be integrated into the school curriculum and available to all students. The variety of curriculum choices, the changes in diploma requirements, the vast number of post-secondary options available today and the complexities of the modern world make it essential that a high priority be given to the services of the Guidance and Counselling Department.
Aims of the G.C.V.I. Counselling Program:
- To meet with students, soon after they enter high school, to begin the process of focusing on personal, educational, and career goals
- To provide an opportunity for parents to be involved in the future plans of their sons and daughters
- To assist students in developing their ability to communicate, solve problems, make decisions and relate to others
- To assist students in locating and using school, community, health, educational and career resources which will help them realize their personal, educational and career goals
To meet the aims stated above, the Guidance and Counselling Department divides its program into five major areas:
- In-class or small group sessions
- individual counselling
- information nights
- information services
- liaison work
The Guidance Counsellors act as referral agents to special services within the community and at The Upper Grand District School Board. They also act as facilitators in the planning of student visits to post-secondary educational institutes.
In order to assist students to reach their personal, educational and career goals, the Guidance Counselling staff believes that parent-staff communication is essential. Parents are encouraged to visit the Guidance Resource Centre and to visit with their student’s counsellor. Please feel free to contact any of the counsellors at 824-9800 ext 340.