PIC Meeting Minutes – November 2023

Those present:

Gillian Prieur, Barb White, Martha MacNeil, Jen Edwards, Deb Bush, Lisa Booth, Crystal-Lee Scace, Lynn Topping, Kelley Jones, Mahrukh Syed, Elaine Churly, Jackie Hammond, Jenna Squires, Jennifer Meeker, Jen Tulloch, Rupinder Kaur, Kumudine Kariyapperuma, Laura White, Mark Howe, Paula O’Donnell, Cara Nibbs

Welcome and introductions

Barb White made Land Acknowledgement

Barb White  welcomed everyone to the meeting and individuals in attendance introduced themselves.

Approval of agenda

Gillian Prieur asked for a motion to approve the agenda. Motioned

Approval of minutes

Gillian Prieur asked for a motion to approve the minutes from September.  Motioned by Elaine Churly

Gillian Prieur asked for a motion to approve the minutes from October. Motioned by Paula O’Donnell

Board Report

Board Report Brent M.

• $500.00 has been deposited in each school councils line to support parent engagement in their school community
  • Report is due in May outlining what the money was used for
  • November 20th – 24th UGDSB participating in Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week
  • Students, Staff and guardians are encouraged to learn more about bullying and its effect on student learning and well being
  • Staff have been giving many resources and slide deck to review with students
  • Every school is engaged in different activities throughout the week to bring awareness to BAPW and how to especially prevent
  • There are many resources on the Ministry and UGDSB website to support as well
  • https://www.ugdsb.ca/schools/safe-equitable-and-inclusive-schools/bullying-prevention-intervention-and-reporting/
  • https://www.ontario.ca/page/bullying-we-can-all-help-stop-it
  • https://www.ugdsb.ca/kortright/resources/bullying-prevention-plan/
  • The Well-being and Health Youth Surveys (WHY Surveys) run in November 2023 and February 2024.
  • The WHY Surveys are collected in partnership with Public Health and will replace our School Climate Surveys and Public Health’s Youth Survey
  • Information from the surveys will be used to assess our progress on such things as our anti-bullying efforts, our school climate work, and on our mental health and well-being initiatives
  • Full set of data from survey will not be available until Spring
  • Links to the survey will be out soon for Parents, Students and staff
  • There are 3 separate surveys for students and each of those surveys asks age appropriate questions related to health and well being and also questions regarding school climate
  • The findings of these surveys helps inform our Bullying Prevention Plans in schools: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K1-U3BscgP18LyJg5fQF49Eow0kHAQ4rwCZu50cQAtw/edit?pli=1
  • “Pro Grants” Board has about $39,000 that can be used to support parent engagement in schools
  • Last year focused on ‘Priority Schools”
  • This year focus should be on creating safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for families and parents, eliminating barriers to equitable access to education system, supporting work relating to anti Black racism, anti Indigenous racism and anti oppressive initiatives, supporting mental health of children, parents and families
  • Schools can complete Draft Form for consideration for funds for activities they might want to run: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UfEjU19osnEwSz RfyKNBb0qs8jn7HKskreh8dZgcNpk/edit?ts=654ce69 5
  • Funds to be spent by Aug 31st 2023

Guest Speaker Jenny Marino – Mental Health and Addiction Lead

• In January to October 2022 a comprehensive review of data was done from previous strategy and different data points
  • Looked at past outcomes, research, best practice and guidelines and also engaged mental leadership committee for consultation and further data collection
  • Jenny shared executive report that summarizes the collection and analysis of all this data gathered by parents, caregivers and students at UGDSB related to current mental health strategy
  • Students want to know more about stress, anxiety and time management skills
  • Requests for practical skills, identity and understanding and desire for student voice
  • Mental Health Strategy Committee currently in process of recruiting student collective
  • A lot of positive work being done in UGDSB with mental health strategy, development and monitoring
  • New delivery model is being introduced through the Ministry of Education for the grade 7 and 8s mental health modules
  • It is not a new curriculum but more delivery of that curriculum using great interactive resources for educators
  • Also will be able to share some great parent resources so that parents can continue to support their students at home based on lessons they are learning at school
  • Mental health literacy modules are a series of three modules per grade from the Ministry of Education
  • First Grade 7 module is mental health, mental illness and the relationship between them
  • Second Grade 7 module is understanding signs of a mental health problem and how to seek support
  • Third Grade 7 module is mental health substance use and the relationship between them
  • First Grade 8 module is mental health and stigma
  • Second Grade 8 module is supporting our mental health by managing stress.
  • Third Grade 8 module is how to help a friend seeking support for others while caring for ourselves.
  • These modules build on current work and are not new to learning, they are to support positive mental health and teach students to develop skills on how to do that
  • As best practice can we implement this support for other parents and caregivers for all age groups so they are able to support their children at home in terms of what topics they are learning in school
  • How can this information be shared with other parents and caregivers – QR codes? Newsletters?Links to websites? Conversation cards sent home?

Trustee Report

Martha MacNeil shared information

Chairs’ Report

Barb and Gillian lead discussion

• Executive Positions for Board have been finalized
  • Treasurer update $100 have been deposited to school council accounts
  • Open Discussion with PIC around changes in Parent Engagement activities now that have returned to more in person events
  • School councils have more parents attending now that meetings are in person versus online
  • Parents/families are also attending school events and concerts/performances, winter markets, graduations, parent/teacher interviews
  • More parent engagement in last year than during covid which as been great

Questions, New Business and Final Remarks

The next meeting will be on Monday January 29th,  2023 at 7:00 PM

PIC Minutes November 20th, 2023 (2)

Nhi Ton-Nu

Web Support/Accessibility Dev.