Guelph Music programs have been busy with music festivals this year
February 27, 2019
GUELPH, Ontario – Guelph secondary music programs have had a very busy year after attending several music festivals.
GCVI Music groups recently performed at several regional music festivals including, the Golden Horseshoe Music Festival in Hamilton, the Ontario Band Association Music Festival in Toronto, MusicFest in Windsor and the Humber College Next Generation Jazz Festival in Toronto. Each of these performances ended with GCVI Music being invited to the national competitions.
The following GCVI Music groups qualified for the national competition:
- GCVI Sr. Symphonic Band – this is the 7th year in a row this group has qualified for nationals
- GCVI Jr. Symphonic Band – this is the 2nd year in a row this groups has qualified for nationals
- GCVI Gael Force Stage Band – this is the 8th year in a row this groups has qualified for nationals
- GCVI Chamber Choir – this is the 3rd year in a row this group has qualified for nationals
- GCVI String Ensemble – this is the 1st time this group has qualified for nationals
GCVI is currently one of the only schools in Canada with groups qualified for nationals in all of the different MusicFest Canada divisions.
The fun for GCVI Music didn’t stop at these competitions, the GCVI Drumline will be competing for the first time in the Canadian Drumline Association Provincial finals in Brampton.
GCVI isn’t the only school in the board who has qualified for Nationals, Centennial CVI’s Symphonic Winds recently qualified after the Golden Horseshoe Music Festival. This is the second time CCVI has qualified for nationals.
Good luck to all the students who have advanced to the National competition.