Highlights of progress made in multi-year Equity Plan
December 17, 2020
GUELPH, Ontario – This December, Upper Grand District School Board staff have been sharing information about some of the progress made in the board’s multi-year Equity Plan.
The 2019-2022 Equity Plan consists of four main tenets, each with specific actions, strategies and progress reports. The tenets are:
- Identify and name bias, oppression and racism through reflection, evidence, voice/feedback and data
- Build collaborative relationships to foster community and align
- Address and educate with accountable policies and practices
- Eliminate bias, oppression and racism through disruption and action
Highlights of the progress made in various areas of focus include:
- Collecting feedback about harmful resources and practices in order to shift resources and practices
- The creation of staff affinity advisory groups comprised of staff from various roles focused on Black Brilliance and Disrupting Anti-Black Racism, Anti- Racism, 2SLGBTQI+, and Homelessness and Poverty
- Centering student feedback and voice provided from Black Chapter/Black Student Unions and other student and staff affinity groups
- System-wide mandatory ongoing anti-racism and anti-oppression learning development and training
- Hiring of two new staff: Workplace Diversity Manager and Assistant Workplace Equity and Diversity Program Coordinator
- Period Equity Program
- More Culturally Responsive and Relevant Pedagogy text resources
- And much more
In addition to doing the work needed, another commitment the board has made is to increase its communication around the work being done in equity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppression initiatives within the UGDSB.
Updates will continue to be shared on the board website. To review the updated Equity Plan, please visit www.ugdsb.ca/equity.