Inside the TJRC: Providing resources to schools in accessible formats
February 7, 2019
The Terry James Resource Centre (TJRC) is the Upper Grand District School Board’s one-stop-shop for materials and resources for UGDSB staff. From the media centre and resource centre to 3D printing, virtual reality and online resources, the TJRC has everything staff need to succeed and pass that success on to UGDSB students. “Inside the TJRC” is an on-going series that will feature some of the amazing resources that the TJRC has to offer.
GUELPH, Ontario – The Terry James Resource Centre (TJRC) is an amazing resource for Upper Grand District School Board staff, but did you know that the TJRC has many resources available in accessible formats?
The TJRC is committed to giving people of all abilities the opportunities to participate fully in everyday life. TJRC offers many supports to ensure accessibility standards and guidelines are met for all UGDSB students.
This school year, the TJRC continued to provide students with text in accessible formats. Through CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access) and AERO (Alternative Education Resources Ontario), the centre was able to provide online resources for students with perceptual disabilities.
In addition to many adaptive devices, staff are also able to check out an extensive collection of braille books, including Harry Potter, many audiobooks, read-a-longs and ebooks.
One of the TJRC adaptive devices allows students to turn bananas into music. With the help of the Makey Makey device, some alligator clips, a laptop and bananas, students can create music. This allows students with all abilities to create music.
The possibilities are endless at the TJCR, additional accessibility resources include:
- An Accessible Book Secondary Library and Accessible Book Elementary Library on UGcloud
- Adaptive Device Library
- Access to Overdrive which provides books in audio version, eBook format and read along texts
- Search for titles using OpenLibrary.org
- Instructions how to access and use Google Read & Write and Snapverter
- Assistance with navigating and ordering from CELA and AERO
- Access to Tumblebooks, Tumblebook Cloud Junior and Bookflix on UG2GO
- A collection of Audiobooks available for circulation at the TJRC
- Additional accessibility training material
For more information about accessibility and the TJRC, visit their website.