Supports for Indigenous peoples; information for allies
Please see below for supports for Indigenous students, staff and families, as well as resources for allies and suggestions for action.
Supports for Indigenous students, staff and families
For UGDSB students and families requiring support, school and board staff are available, including the board’s Indigenous Social Worker. Staff are encouraged to reach out to the board’s Employee & Family Assistance Program, which provides a wide range of services and resources.
- National Indian Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419
- Crisis Services Canada: 1-833-456-4566 or text 45645
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or text a crisis responder at 686868
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line: 1-855-242-3310
- Native Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-877-209-1266
- Noojimo Health and Counselling: https://noojimohealth.ca/
- Qualia Indigenous Counselling Services: http://qualiacounselling.com/mental-health-services-brantford/#indigenous-services
Resources and information for allies
- Read the Truth and Reconciliation Report and Calls to Action: https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
- Indigenous Ally Toolkit: https://reseaumtlnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Ally_March.pdf
- Reconciliation Dialogue for Individuals, Communities and Organizations: https://reconciliationcanada.ca/staging/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CommunityActionToolkit_KitchenTable_for-ind_Aug13.pdf